Web2.0 has changed my reading habits. I read the comments first, the article later. With so many sources of information and each trying to be more authentic than the other, comments enables me to
1 Speak My Mind
* Lots of times while reading the article, a vague idea about something appears but I cant point a finger at it. Chances are people have already asked and answered the questions you had in mind while reading the post.
2 Think Ahead
* Helps deciding the credibility of the author and whether I want to read more from this author again or not.
3 Know Interesting People, Events, Relationships
* Wisdom of the crowds- know great people who give sensible comments, references to other links
* When was the last comment posted on an item (if people are still commenting on an article/post written months ago, it definitely in news and worth a dekko)
4 Makes Me Perceptive and Objective
* Gives cultural insights and viewpoints
5 Saves time
* The number of comments can show if the post is popular or not and if the post is worth a look.
Of course, in the end the judgement lies with the reader alone. What makes sense to me is the most popular for me.